Monday, October 29, 2012

What do you do with a MA in Literature?

As my impending graduation comes closer and closer I am for the first time trying to be realistic about the education I have received. I know it's a bit late for an epiphany.  People say all the time, all education is good; I beg to differ. 

I am looking at a Pikes Peak size mound of debt and very limited career options.

When I first started out there was no doubt in my mind I wanted to be a teacher.  I  romanticized the idea of helping kids achieve their dreams and playing an important role in the community.  The reality is much different.  As I put in my years as an educator I am realizing I may not be cut out for the role public school asks me to play.  I am a problem solver not a sit around the table problem discuss-er.  I love being a teacher I just wish it was more about teaching and less about committees, meetings and juggling the juvenile ways of co-workers.

But then I look at my student loan bill and all I have invested into becoming the best teacher I can be and find it hard to justify any other career option. (Even though there are some retail jobs out there I am sure that pay more...)

I am still trying to figure out where the heck I fit in, in this adult world where, by my age, I am supposed to have all the answers and everything figured out by now. 

Trying to hunt down that perfect job.  The one that fits like a glove. 

But I think my education and experience had pigeon holed me into a niche which is now a bit suffocating.  Did I just invest enough money to buy a small house into an education which will get me no where but where I am already at? 

It should be illegal for colleges and universities to allow students to major in dumb things.  I mean we are young and foolish and we all think we are going to grown up and be rich and famous or maybe just rich and we take leaps for the big stars just to realize that if that leap doesn’t work, the options are we left with are nil. 

In the prolific words of one of my favorites, Mr. Baz Luhrmann “ The most interesting people didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don’t”. 

Guess I will just need to settle for being interesting for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment